Pages

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sheets & Other Lasting Relationships

This morning, as I was folding a basket of linens, I came across a pillow case in a faded blue and gold pattern.

I remember exactly when I purchased the set of double sized sheets from Foley’s (aka Macy’s) downtown.

It was when I left my husband, thirty years ago. I remember, because it was then that I began my ritual of changing bed linens when relationships ended.

In spite of its faded condition, the pillow case is quite usable – the fabric is still strong, the stitches still taut and holding the pieces of the case together.

Wondercale No Iron Percale by Springmaid, 65% Polyester, 35% Cotton.

Thirty years, enduring neglect, obsession, casual caretaking, abandonment, years spent in a pile of other linens, forgotten, waiting to be retrieved, recovered, restored.

Like the fabric of strong relationships, the threads of shared spaces and shared experiences still taut and holding people together.

Waiting to be rediscovered, reclaimed and restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment