Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Thinking about that Community Center / Mosque Near Ground Zero

Like all Americans, I remember exactly where I was on 9-11.

And I remember thinking, This is not the world I wanted to leave my sons.

This debate about the Islamic community center located several blocks from Ground Zero is insane.

We are a nation evolved from a melting pot of ethnicities & experience.

In spite of the propaganda we teach our children, this country was founded by Dutch merchants seeking a fortune. Our founding fathers (bless their souls) never believed that the average white man (let's not even discuss men of color or women of any race) could govern themselves.

I love this nation. I love what we stand for, what we strive to be. But it would not exist without its people.

We have changed, grown & are stronger for the change & growth. I have witnessed Houston grow in the last forty years - I first had Indian food in London, Vietnamese & Cous-Cous in Paris, pizza over a fire in Rome.

Now I can travel anywhere in this town & enter another culture, another world. I love that.

Amazing, this melting pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment