Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

.About El Paso . . .

I have experienced some wonderful things in my life:  finding myself in Westminster Abbey the day Prince Charles was going to be anointed with the Order of the Garter, riding the last train into a station in Scotland & being greeted by bagpipes, wandering into Notre Dame for the audition of a new organist, walking down from the Eiffel Tower because the multiple elevator ride up was just too much for me, meeting an incredible couple from Boston in Madrid who took us to hidden treasures in the city, wandering into Rome during a Holy Year, hearing a group of nuns sing "Ava Maria" acapella in St. Mary's Major, the moments my sons were born, one screaming as he exited, one quiet, subdued.
 
Responding to Nick, the screaming one, as he continually reaches out to keep us connected.
 
Hearing my son Sam, the quiet one, give a speech at the 35th Anniversary of PDAP (Palmer Drug Abuse Program) & ending it with, "I love you Mom." 
 
Wonder filled & beautiful moments.   
 
But always, there are the memories of leaving the house in El Paso, long before my parents awoke, & climbing the fence & crossing the desert & climbing the hill to watch the sun rise over the mountains. 
 
Or, in rare cases, climbing that fence, crossing the desert & climbing the hill to watch the sun set.  Nothing equals the sun setting over the mountains. 
 
The memory of those moments, climbing the rock fence, crossing the desert & climbing the hill, are wonder filled & beautiful. 

2 comments:

  1. do you remember when the LBJ Freeway was being built and we would walk along the roadbed and play in the huge (I mean HUGE) pipes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so remember - I remember canvassing the water (in my mind it was a creek). My brother John went looking for frogs & minnows. I went because the water felt great on my feet.

    ReplyDelete