Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Politics, Community Activism & My Friend Shirley




So I have been thinking about politics & community activism & my friend Shirley.

I first met Shirley when our sons were in elementary school & Cub Scouts.  She was so vivacious, so bright, so open & caring & giving.  So genuine.

Shirley is currently an Alderwoman on the City Council of this little hamlet called Meadows Place.

And she has been cyber bullied for her stand on certain issues.  She is not alone in her stand.  But she has been targeted.

Shirley is a Conservative, a devout Catholic.  I am a Liberal, not quite convinced that God did not begin as a woman before Patriarchy rewrote Her.  I believe that we pray to the same Being.

When she first asked me to be her friend on Facebook, I was reticent.  I explained to her that I was more than a bit to the left & vocal about my position & I did not want that to come back to haunt her.

Friendship transcends politics, she wrote.

Amazing soul, my friend Shirley.

An amazing soul who is being bullied via email.

Email between friends & family is most certainly a discourse.

Email between colleagues discussing business is most certainly a discourse.

Email designed to intimidate, threaten, & bully is not a discourse.
It is intolerable.  If adults use email to bully, how do we expect our children to behave differently?

My friend Shirley is defiant against the cowardice of threat, intimidation & bullying – she is running for re-election. 

I, and many others, will vote for her & her good name & her grace & her commitment to serving this community.

To the group who bullied Shirley, the only remaining woman on the city council,  I can only say what my mother Jean has cautioned me to not say:  "I just don't fucking think so."

PS:  Jean understands.

No comments:

Post a Comment