Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Jaki Jean & the Quest for Parsnips



My friend Cate Poe & her consort Tejano are about to embark on a year-long adventure, exploring Southeast Asia. 

This past weekend, I embarked on an adventure of my own.

A search for parsnips.



Now, the search for a simple root vegetable may not appear to be as adventurous as embedding oneself & one’s significant other in Southeast Asia, but trust me.  In my neighborhood, the search for a simple root vegetable can be challenging & fraught with mystery.

In years past, I have had to leave my neighborhood for other simple, ordinary things.  One year it was shallots.  In what alternate universe is there a cuisine that does not benefit from shallots?

I discussed my frustration at the lack of access to shallots with Mr. Hollywood (yes, that was his real name & he looked the part), the manager of our nearest grocery store,  Randall’s #22.  In fact I discussed it so much that he gave me friend Barry Morrison an application for a position on Randall’s Consumer Advisory Board & asked Barry to give it to me.

Another year, it was frozen phyllo dough.  I have never attempted to make phyllo dough – I watched Martha Stewart do it & decided that the frozen version would work just fine for Jaki Jean.  That particular year, when I wanted to bake ratatouille in phyllo dough, it mysteriously disappeared from the freezers at Randall’s #22.

Seriously, who does not use phyllo dough?

I won’t even go into the drama surrounding Weight Watcher’s Tuna Noodle Casserole or Stouffer’s Corn Soufflé.

A few weeks ago I ran into a neighbor & friend from the days when we were raising our boys, Terese Hostetter.  She was with Ryan Kercheval, who went to The Walden School with my Omega son Sam & always insisted during those years that she & Sam would get married one day. 

Terese was in search of Mango Chutney.  When she sent Ryan to ask the manager where it might be, Ryan returned with the announcement:  He says it is a seasonal item.
 
Chutney is a seasonal item?  Seriously?  

Last year, Randall’s #22 carried parsnips during the Thanksgiving & Christmas seasons, but this year it seems that October is too early for parsnips (but not cranberries or tinsel) to make an appearance at Randall’s #22.  

Horseradish roots, yes.  But no parsnips.

So, like any seasoned adventurer, I mapped out a flexible strategy.  

Knowing that the second closest grocery store, Foodarama (where I get all my peppers & onions & greens & Mexican cheeses & tortillas & Bruce’s Sweet Potato Pancake Mix & Blue Bell ice cream for $1 less a gallon than Randall’s #22) did not have parsnips, I decided that I would have to venture far out of Meadows Place for the desired root vegetable.

First, the Signature Kroger on Sweetwater in Sugar Land.  If that failed & I could not imagine that it would, I would have to check out the HEB on University at Highway 6.  If that failed (unthinkable ! ),  I will dare to go where the brave dare not go without adequate funds:  Whole Foods in Sugar Land.

So, I arm myself with a Breast Cancer Awareness shopping bag (because I really try to shop green) & announce to my brother that I am embarking on the quest for parsnips.
(As I quite often make similar pronouncements he says simply:  Good Luck.)

As I leave the city limits of Meadows Place, I half hope that Kroger & HEB will not have the object of my quest so that I can wander throughout Whole Foods.

I know, I am easily amused.  I love wandering through grocery stores.  I also love sidewalk chalk & confetti & bubbles.  And the idea of dancing in the streets.

And then, my entire adventure plan is disrupted by the reminder of the Wal-Mart on the corner of Airport & the Southwest Freeway.

Directly across the freeway from the borders of Meadows Place.

And I remember how Wal-Mart had pomelos when Jean & I were researching why a grapefruit is called a grapefruit & why a pineapple is called a pineapple.

And I remember that Chutney is not a seasonal item at Wal-Mart.

And that Wal-Mart carries shallots & frozen phyllo dough & tuna noodle casserole.

So, I take a chance.

And find parsnips.  I bought two bags.

And went home & proceeded to make what I am convinced is the best Root Vegetable Plus Stew known to woman or mankind.  Parsnips, carrots, turnips, potatoes, garlic, leeks, butternut squash, a small acorn squash, lemon, honey, slivers of sun dried tomatoes, chicken stock & white wine.   Served, of course, with garlic bread.

My adventures are different than Cate’s, but still substantial.  Just of a different moment in life cycles.  I love reading hers – I love living mine.

While Cate & Tejano are experiencing Southeast Asia, I will follow Cate’s blog connectingwithcate.blogspot.com/. I urge any of you interested in intelligent, thoughtful, sensitive observation to check it out.  She is a wonderful writer.  And an amazing woman.

And I will plot how to create an adventure that results in wandering the aisles of Whole Foods.

And perhaps, throwing confetti.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment