Pages

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

History, Memory & Memorial Day


History, like Memory, is not an exact science.  It is a text, written upon & reinterpreted by time & space & culture & change & agenda.  

And sometimes, by forgetfulness & confusion.

Yet History & Memory define us, influence us, challenge us, remind us, heal us & too often destroy us.

And sometimes distract us

Yesterday, as our nation was still at war, Americans celebrated Memorial Day.  A day of remembrance, a day to remember history, a day to honor those who gave their lives so that succeeding generations are free to revel & barbecue.

And to argue about how Memorial Day was established.

A respected friend of mine, who, like me, leans a bit to the left, posted an article by David W. Blight.  Blight is a professor of American History at Yale University. 

Dr. Blight has an impressive CV – a southern boy from Flint, Michigan.

He has won a lot of awards, including the 2001 Frederick Douglass Prize for Race and Reunion: The Civil War in American Memory.

The more I read about David W. Blight, the more I like him.  I hope that what I read about his work is trueIt has been a seminal work in the enlarging field of memory studies.

Which brings me back to History & Memory & barbecue & arguing about how the day known as Memorial Day began as Decoration Day & why that argument matters.

The argument matters because it continues.  How, why, when, where or are you fucking kidding me that this argument about history & memory & what is ”factual” matters.

I found, among my Facebook friends, other versions of the story about how Decoration Day began, who started it, & how it became Memorial Day.

And I found a few rebuttals – including several links to the US Department of Government Affairs, which has its own memory & its own agenda & its own version of how Memorial Day was established.

History & Memory must be shared.  It must be discussed in an open, receptive forum, with everyone present willing to listen to the others’ interpretation, understanding & memory.

I care about Decoration Day & how it was established.  I care deeply about Memorial Day.  I care deeply about History & Memory.

But I care more about being willing to include all our shared memories in our history.



http://www.va.gov/opa/speceven/memday/history.asp?utm_source=3birds&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=AUBURNVW_Fun+Facts+About+Memorial+Day

No comments:

Post a Comment