Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Jaki Jean on Kris Kristofferson & my friend Caryn



This post is dedicated to Caryn Jaetzold, who was both my & Jean’s hairdresser for decades.  And a treasured friend.  Caryn used to discourage me from highlights when my hair turned mousy after the birth of my first son.  “God has only made one mistake – you should be a redhead.”

Almost twenty seven years ago, when I was living in DC & home for a visit, Caryn agreed to take care of my hair, after hours.  I took two bottles of champagne. 
The next day, I woke up a redhead.  Complete with eyebrows.

Caryn should know that many people in my life now only know me as a redhead – including my youngest son.  And that one day a few years ago, as I was working our local voting site during a crucial city election, one of the volunteers distributed sun screen & said to me:

This is really important for you, with that skin & red hair.

I laughed & as I lathered on sunscreen, I responded:

The pale skin & freckles are natural – the hair is Preference by Loreal 7LA.

And Caryn, our friend Jayne Pride commented:  I did not know that.

All of that is not the subject of this post.  But I wanted to introduce Caryn.  She is amazing & her talents & passions are not limited to choosing the right color for a skin type.

This particular post is about something Caryn shared on Facebook.  About Kris Kristofferson.


And I told Caryn I had a story about Kristofferson.

I am not sure when Kristofferson came under my radar.  It might have been when my cousin Suzanne Willimon Borgese took her baby sister Laura Newsom & I to see “The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea”.  

Eventually, before the Internet, I learned that Kris Kristofferson was not only from Texas, but a Rhodes Scholar & a song writer.  A man who had a BA & Masters in Literature, who went to the Army’s Ranger school, & wrote songs. 

And what songs he wrote – the best were recorded by the best:   Sunday Morning Coming Down, Help Me Make It through the Night, Once More with Feeling, For the Good Times, Me & Bobby McGee. And so many more.

Over forty years ago, I lost my young & too unformed mind & got married.  My husband became a Christian (at my urging) & eventually, after we settled on a church (South Main Baptist here in Houston), he decided after a few years that we should take training classes to become Sunday School teachers.

Now, my friends, I was not then, nor am I now, a suitable candidate to teach Sunday School.  Because we were young, we ended up teaching 15 year olds – in separate classes.  I taught girls, he taught boys.

During that ill-advised teaching episode & equally ill-advised marriage, Kris Kristofferson did a remake of the Judy Garland classic “A Star is Born” with Barbra Streisand.  The girls in my Sunday School class were beside themselves.  They all saw the movie, more than once.  And each of them fell in love with Kris Kristofferson.

So I planned a field trip – I would take them to a Kristofferson concert held in what was once the Summit (home of the Houston Rockets) & now Lakewood Church. 
We went to the concert – Willie Nelson came out at the end for a duet.  

I dealt with the girls’  reaction to a smoke filled arena that was less about tobacco than marijuana.

After the concert, on the way to take them home, they were uncharacteristically very quiet.  So I asked, Did you like the concert?

They all maintained they did.  But one of them said what they were all thinking, because for them, Kris Kristofferson was John Norman Howard, the self-destructive & tragic male lead of a movie.

Jaki, he sings country.

I tried, in my twenty something way to explain that Kristofferson was not John Norman Howard, but a songwriter, a very interesting man with a difficult past.
That he was not the character he played in the movie. 

I am quite certain that they did not get it.  As I said, I was too young to deal with a group of five fifteen-year-olds.


Although my Sunday School lesson on birth control became legendary.

No comments:

Post a Comment