Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

But I do not want Serrano Peppers, Sam I Am . . .

But I do not want Serrano peppers, Sam I am. . .

 
Early this morning, checking out at the grocery store closest to Meadows Place, I noticed the cashier struggling to find the price for my bag of six small new white potatoes.  

And then I saw that he had charged me twice for $2.92 worth of Serrano peppers.

I pointed out that my basket did not contain Serrano  or any peppers.

The cashier, still flustered by the new white potatoes, took off one charge of Serrano peppers.

Frustrated, I looked at the growing line behind me, in the only open lane.  I took my groceries to the car & then I waited at the customer service window until it opened at 8:00 am.

While waiting, I noticed that not only had I bought the non-existent Serrano peppers (1.63 lb @ 1.79/lb) – but I had bought exactly 1.63 lbs of white onions & 1.63 lbs of white new potatoes.

Even had the Serrano peppers existed, what were the chances that my two large yellow onions weigh exactly the same as six small white new potatoes?

When the customer service booth opened, I explained that I wanted my $2.92 refunded for the non-existent peppers & that I did not believe that every piece of produce I bought that day (especially the absentee Serranos) weighed exactly 1.63 lbs. 

So the customer service rep refunded the disputed $2.92 for the non-existent Serrano peppers & the amounts I paid for the white new potatoes & yellow onions. 

(Probably due to the fact that my receipt identified me as an  Elite Customer with access to the manager's direct line).

I did not point out that 1.63 lb of Serrano peppers would be a LOT of peppers & I did not point out that I would not pay $1.79 a pound when I could drive less than a mile away & pay a dollar a pound less.

So, now in addition to having to check the expiration date on everything I buy, I now must review all my receipts in search of phantom Serrano peppers.

I do not like this, Sam I am.  Not a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment