Pages

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Naan & Morsels for God

This evening, as I was kneading dough for my first attempt at making naan, an leavened flatbread, to go with my dinner of Bell Pepper & Tomato Rice with Cashews (supplemented on my part with lentils) – this evening I thought about Sarah.

And a story once told to me & later reinterpreted.

Abraham, overcome with God's favor & presence, offers the Creator of the Universe a morsel of bread.

And to produce this morsel, Abraham ran to his wife:

And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, & said: 'Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it & make cakes.' (Bereshith: Genesis 18:6)

As if Sarah, who was approaching the century mark, had not been measuring fine meal & kneading it & making cakes & bread in her tent to feed her family & did not have a recipe of her own.

A recipe worthy of a visit from God.

I wonder how many cakes Abraham cooked in that or any tent – if Abraham ever kneaded the dough to produce bread to provide sustenance & joy.

Or a morsel of bread for the Almighty.

I wonder . . .
                     . . . if his recipe was better than Sarah's.

No comments:

Post a Comment