Pages

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cornstarch & Rachel's Mother

Memory is an elusive & lovely thing. A gift from the gods/goddesses.

And today after talking with my friend Rachel & learning that her mother was visiting, I remember a long day ago afternoon.

An afternoon when Rachel & I returned from wherever to find Rachel's mother (and a friend?) engrossed in the wonders of cornstarch. 

We fully participated in the exercise, letting our fingers draw down into the cornstarch, & then marveling when we could hit the surface. 

And find resistance. 

So, over the years, I have introduced people to the wonder of cornstarch. 

Dip you fingers in, let the mixture fall back & then try to abolish the surface. Or let the surface you disrupted by dipping in & letting it dribble back & finally dissolve into the whole of the original. 

This, my dearest Rachel, is one of the best memories I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment