Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Today I am John Chambless

A ridiculous title, because, I am obviously not a male, nor a real estate appraiser & I have no idea how to make a plum pudding. 

But today, I have neglected many things to make food for Eli. 

Who is a geriatric wire haired Dachshund rescue from Citizens for Animal Protection. A sweet, kind dog who captured my son Sam's heart all those years & days ago. 

So today I cooked my variation of John Chambless's original recipe for geriatric dogs: ground turkey, vegetable broth, the peas & carrots Eli loves, dried cranberries, bits of apple without the peal, chopped spinach, a dash of orzo pasta & a dollop of olive oil. 

The recipe varies from time to time. Sometimes there are lentils & green beans or chicken broth or a bit of barley, a bit of rice. Always peas & carrots because Eli is crazy about peas & carrots. 

He also likes thin slices of cantaloupe. 

I remember standing near John Chambless's kitchen, watching someone sample a bit from a simmering pot of food designed for four legged creatures, including one named Frog.

And years later how I laughed when my brother Jason came home one evening to a simmering pot, helped himself to a bowl & said: That was yummy. 

I am not a male, I am not a real estate appraiser & I have no idea how to make a plum pudding. 

But today, I was John Chambless, making food for an old friend.

1 comment:

  1. That made me smile. I remember Frog, and also Guinevere (and John, too, of course). It's been many, many years since I worked at Jud's Pipe Shop but I have great memories of that era. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete