Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Jaki Jean on Another Conversation about Jean

I used to think that this was the most we ever looked alike, until now.

Today, another conversation with our Home Health Care Provider.

Jaki:  This is Jaki Ettinger, Jean Ettinger’s daughter.  May I speak with Vincent?

Voice answering the phone:  Miss Jaki, this is Vincent.

At once, I remember that I hate being called Miss Jaki.  Except by a five year old.

Jaki:  Vincent, we have a problem.  A very big problem.

I explain to Vincent, not for the first time, that I have fired one Home Health Care Provider.  I explain that the reasons for that firing had to do with the quality of care or lack of it, that the nurses did not listen to me & my mother ended up in the hospital with her kidneys functioning at less than 15%.

I remind him that his company has traditionally given my mother the very best of care & concern.

Next, I tell Vincent that the colostomy supplies I ordered should have been delivered to our home, just like all the other supplies Medicare covers.  I explain that I don’t care about that he ordered two patient’s supplies & my mother’s ended up at the other patient’s house.

Then  I take a deep breath & address the subject of the nurse Vincent has assigned to my mother. that said nurse did not show up yesterday as scheduled.  

That I know I cannot have our cherished Chike, who has moved on in his studies, but that I need a nurse who will honor her/his word, a nurse who wants to be a Chike, a nurse who will take care of my mother.

And then I tell him that I know that I am demanding, but that I make no apologies for those demands.  This is my mother. 

I hope, Vincent, that you would demand the same for your mother.

And in closing, I tell Vincent that the only reason his company is still employed is Loretta, the Home Health Aid who comes twice a week to bathe my mother & wash her hair.  

I do not tell him that I can do both.

Instead I tell him:

I work our schedule around Loretta’s schedule, Vincent.  She is that fine.  I want a nurse who will inspire the same response.

We shall see.  Every day of this journey with Jean brings a different challenge & an amazing joy.

While I was editing this post, Vincent called.  He told me that Medicare would now only pay for a nurse to come once a week.

Vincent,  I replied, Raphael  (yes the offending nurse’s name was Raphael, & apparently never  a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle) did not tell me of the change.

Vincent kept explaining things but all I heard was that Chike was available to come once a week to check on & care for Jean.

And I wept for joy.


1 comment: