Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

The Best Laid Plans of Mice & Men Disrupted

So, this evening, I truly needed to clean up the kitchen (which involves more than filling the dishwasher).  But I took a break & checked Facebook & found a message that reduced me to inaction, despair & tears.

A man I knew & with whom I spent countless hours of laughter & discourse & ease, died yesterday.

A man I once knew very well, who was kind & generous & supportive of me & my little family, whose family spent holidays & birthday parties with my family & evenings playing Trivial Pursuit.  

A man who teased me relentlessly about our political differences (whom I still believe put a Bush sticker on my car back in the 80’s).   

Who let his wife use his frequent flyer miles & Marriot points to take me along on a girls’ trip to New York during a particularly rough time in my life.

A man who did not blink when his wife & I sat in the driveway or in the hot tub, all night, drinking champagne & talking.

He loved his family.  He spoke with pride about his daughter.  He loved & admired his wife.

Barry Morrison was a good man, a kind & loving man.  He was not perfect.  But as I always remind people, there are no saints on earth.

He was 56 & he died too damned soon.

Needless to say, the kitchen is still a mess.

Rest in peace, Barry.

1 comment: