Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

It is the evening of the day . . .

Earlier this evening, I sat on the bench on our front yard porch & pulled obnoxious tiny trees threatening my hibiscus & Mexican petunias out of the ground.  

I saw two young people walking across the street.  They paused while she went through his hair, both laughing.  Then they kissed, joined hands & kept on walking
.
Later I went out to check the sprinkler & the same couple was returning from wherever they had been headed, still holding hands & laughing.  They paused for a moment, kissed & then kept on walking, hands & laughter & the moment interlocked.

And I thought about love & what it means when one is very young.  About that first kiss, that first moment when it is enough to just hold hands & talk & laugh.

And about later, when somehow things get complicated & it is no longer just enough to talk & laugh & share a kiss while walking down the street.

I have no illusions that life or love is as ever as simple as it is in memory.

And I have no regrets – I remember every man in my life with fondness.  And with each one, I can recall a wonderful moment just talking & laughing & sharing a moment.

Love, at any age, is not a state of being.  It is a choice, an action, a process.  Love is a dynamic, living force.  It challenges us, it requires of us, it soothes & comforts us, it inspires us to be everything we should be.

It does not always end with the end of a friendship or a relationship or a marriage or a life.

In this evening of the day, I needed to remember that as I grieve for the loss of my friend Barry Morrison.  A good man.  A good friend.


As tears go by . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment