Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Janet, Peeps & Echos of Emily



Yesterday evening I ran into my sister at the discounted Easter candy display at our ghetto Randall’s.  Curious, because she was not filling her basket with Peeps.

Now, I am not sure what the relationship between my sister Janet & Peeps is – but I have confirmed her obsession with them with my niece.  Who is equally baffled by her mother’s affection for these sugar-laden, sugar coated marshmallows shaped like little chicks.

I ask Janet how my brother-in-law David is dealing with their daughter Emily being “in a relationship with”.   She smiles & tells me he is doing fine, for now.

Which makes me laugh.

My niece is a very beautiful young woman.  I can still see her as a little girl, skipping across the floor of Randall’s like a wood nymph.  Full of grace & glory & joy at surprising me.  And I remember a very little girl, sitting in the back seat of my Beetle, belting out with clarity:  You make me feel like a natural woman.

My niece has a soul that shines & enhances her very lovely face.  She gives every appearance of being a young woman comfortable in her own skin.  One only has to spend a little time with her to know that she is a friend you can trust, a kind & safe place to fall.

All of which she owes to being in a relationship with her parents.  

Who also have souls that shine on their very lovely faces.

My sister, impeccably groomed, leaves the discounted Easter candy without Peeps.  I, my jeans covered in the remnants of sidewalk chalk & the memory of my neighbor’s dismay at finding me on my knees on the sidewalk, buy an 89 cent pack of three chocolate dipped Peeps.

While I am certain that the childhood Easters I shared with my sister included Peeps, when I ate two of those three chocolate dipped Peeps, no memories flooded my brain.

I just thought that dark chocolate would work better.

No comments:

Post a Comment