Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

What do Scotsmen wear under those kilts?



This is picture of my friend Daniel & his wife Kelly on their wedding day.  I am not sure how the helicopter fits in, but knowing Daniel, something spectacular happened when they boarded that helicopter.

But that is not the point – the point is I know Daniel & he is a Scotsman who proudly wears his clan’s tartan.

I never asked him when we were working together, but I think if I had asked, he would have told me what a Scotsman wears under his kilt.

I did not ask, because I know.

In another life, I traveled through Scotland.  And one afternoon, it just so happened that my traveling companion & I were on the last train to pull into the station where we wanted to go.  We were on our way to take a ferry to the Isle of Hebrides because my companion wanted to see the cliffs where seabirds planted their eggs.  And men on ropes gather the eggs.

As the train pulled into the station, we heard bagpipes.  We opened the windows & realized it was not a dream.  Dozens of Scotsmen, all dressed in their clans’ tartans, stood in the station playing bagpipes.

One of those magical moments that no guidebook can give young & impoverished travelers.

We rode the ferry to somewhere in the Hebrides, along with a large contingency of  bagpipers in kilts.  It was windy & the wind blew up their kilts & it was then that I learned what Scotsmen wear under the tartan.

I am sure I will ever tell.  It was a very public & very private moment.

And what happened on the Hebrides is another story . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment