Pages

Monday, April 2, 2012

Remembering John. . .because of his daughter


 

As my niece Felicia Marie Ettinger sailed with the USS New York, I take time remember her father, my brother John.

I usually get nostalgic about John near in anniversary of his death.  But this year my Alpha Son Nick married his Lady Jane in February & I knew John would have wanted me to focus on that particular joy & wonder.

Not on regrets or loss.

Felicia came to see us before she returned to prepare for her deployment.

And brought my mother flowers.  Yellow alstromeria.  

We talked about everything & nothing.  About how she felt about being one of a few women aboard a ship & about the young men who were vying for her attention & about her mentors & her drive to prove herself.

And about Navy men who did not believe women belonged in the military.

We talked about identity, how some people perceive her as not Mexican because of one side of her parentage, others as Mexican because of the other side of her parentage.

It is a conversation we have had over the years – cruel comments that she looked too white.  Not Mexican enough. 

I never think of her as either – she is simply our Princess.  Beautiful & sweet & kind.  A bit of a temper, which I admire.

She is bits & pieces of both her parents.  And she is her own amazing young woman.

She said:  I am most definitely Ettinger.

I think she is most definitely Felicia Marie, the very best of her maternal Castillo heritage & her paternal Ettinger heritage.

And I think of what I told her earlier:  Your father brought me flowers both times I gave birth.

Alstromeria.

Her mother’s daughter.

My brother John’s daughter.

Our Princess.  Ser marinero de seguro, poco.

No comments:

Post a Comment