Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Tribute to My Sister Janet


On Mother’s Day 2012, I spent time with my eldest son & his wife of three months & his mother-in-law.  It was a wonderful afternoon.  Because after 28 years, Nick & I are easy & comfortable with one another.  After nine years, Jane is as much mine as Nick.  And I adore Jane’s mother, adore both her parents.  

The night before, my sister had Jean & my brother & me over for a Mother’s Day dinner.  Which is a very big deal, my sister Janet cooking
.
And this week, I was reminded that I believe women mother one another.  Women mother everyone in their lives.  It is in our DNA, in our hormones.

Maternal power is fierce.  

My sister’s maternal power is more than fierce.  It is filled with passion, with commitment, with faith & grace.

She was with me at the birth of both of my sons.  She has been with me at every major hurdle, obstacle, challenge & triumph in their lives. 

She is still with me, giving far more than I can live long enough to give back.

When we were little girls, and I had a nightmare, I would migrate to her room.  She would turn back the covers & make room for me in the bed.  And take the nightmare away.

She is still turning covers & making room for me & taking away the nightmares.

My Other Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment