Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

About that Husker Victory – to Andres & Fans of the Underdog

  


Andres, 

As the daughter of an Aggie & sister of an Aggie & aunt of a future (third generation) Aggie, & as a former Aggie Sweetheart (my picture is in my father's annual & the first song I learned was "Goodbye to Texas University, so long to the orange & the white"), as the survivor of so many Thanksgiving dinners overshadowed by the UT-A&M football rivalry, I am, alas, a UT fan.  
  
I even married a Longhorn. 

Those were interesting Thanksgivings. ;-)  

Although my ex-husband was not a diehard fan of his alma mater - he thought the ambiance in Austin was too liberal, the ambiance in College Station too conservative, & that if one wanted a balanced education, a working man's university, like the University of Houston, was the place to go.

I did not become an open UT fan until long after my father died.  

After his reaction to my announcement that I was voting for McGovern, I feared what he would do if he knew I secretly wanted to go to UT & UT Law School.

When I was looking at colleges, he offered me a bribe - a Mustang - to attend A&M.

At the time, they had no impressive English department.  I did not like the signs that said I was not to walk on the grass – as if it was holy ground.

And I was never going to be an engineer.  I never got a Mustang.

Eventually, I ended up at the University of Houston.  I attended football games & cheered the Cougars under Bill Yeoman.  I followed the Cougars basketball program under Guy Lewis & wept when Hakeem the dream & Clyde the Slide & all of Phi Slama Jama lost the title to Georgetown with one brilliant final throw from Patrick Ewing at the very last minute.

But I never completely said goodbye to the orange & the white.

I hope you won't hold this against me.

No comments:

Post a Comment