Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Remembering John

Tomorrow is the anniversary of my brother John’s death.

Although I have no memory of my sister  Janet’s birth, I do remember John as an infant. 
 
The whole umbilical cord upset me.  In my five year old mind, someone was not taking care of business.  What was it & who was taking care of it? 

Funny, the things one remembers, or thinks that one remembers.

Both times I gave birth, John brought flowers to the hospital. 
 
When we were growing up & moved from Dallas to El Paso, our parents built a house.
John, Janet & I got to pick out the color of our rooms.  I picked out lavender, I think I remember Janet picking out blue & I know John asked for pink.

Now, how this choice of pink played out for the only son in our little family, I do not know.  His room ended up orange, with bright orange enamel trim.

Years later, I took my son Sam, just a toddler, to the store to buy shoes.  And he picked out a pair of pink high top tennis shoes.

One afternoon after we purchased the shoes, I dressed Sam in a pair of Oshkosh overalls & a pink Ralph Lauren polo inherited from his brother & his pink tennis shoes. 
We went to the park to play. 

Sam was having a great time & one of the other parents present, a father, asked, “What is her name? She is so adorable.”

And I replied, “His name is Sam & he is adorable.”

Over the years, I have seen Sam in a pink shirt or two – his choice.  The color goes well with his skin tone & his eyes.

And I am sure John smiles.

We miss you, John.

No comments:

Post a Comment