Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

To Emily Kate

Dear Emily,

Tomorrow you will turn 18.  

At 18, you probably don’t want me to write about one of my favorite memories of you.

I love the memories of shopping in the grocery store & sensing movement & there you were.

At 18:

You will be able to vote.  You will be accountable in a court of law for any infractions.  You can enter into a contract  & you can buy property.  If you were a male, you would be required to register for the Selective Service, just in case Congress decides to bring back the Draft & call you into military service (a sexist act – women are among our troops in both these crazy wars we are fighting).

Voting is huge.  

I wish that your grandfather had lived to know the wonder you are & the wonder your mother has become & the wonder she married.  

 In these times, when people across the world are protesting for the right to vote, you will be given the right & responsibility to vote tomorrow morning.

Vote with your conscience & conviction. 

Grandpa Jack raised me to vote that way – he did not always agree (there is the famous story of him throwing a plate of spaghetti across the room when I told him I was voting Democrat, not Republican, the first time I voted).   

But he believed in voting with conscience & conviction.

Jack would have adored you.  Third generation Aggie – nothing would have made him prouder.

You will be going off to college, living “independent” of your parents, very soon.
 
That is huge.  Your parents have given you a wonderful foundation in faith & family & friends.

I know that my father, your grandfather, Jack , will be watching over you.  Wonder that you are,

Love,

Jaki

No comments:

Post a Comment