Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Again, About Sarah Palin



www.npr.org
Linguist Geoff Nunberg reflects on the recent shooting in Tuscon, Arizona, arguing that traumatic events make people self-conscious about their language — and perhaps, rightfully so.

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin on Fox News Channel's Hannity, Jan. 17, 2011.

January 20, 2011. . . Sarah Palin was right. It was irresponsible for people to say she had anything to do with the Tucson shootings. I'm not sure why she had to bring "blood libel" and the persecution of the medieval Jews into it. But she could certainly say it was a bum rap .  . .

So, in part I agree with Geoff Nunberg – Sarah Palin was not responsible for Tucson.

But I stand by my earlier posts & comments – her use of the term “blood libel”, drawing an analogy to people’s criticisms of her inflammatory antics to the persecution of medieval Jews was obscene.  

So I will insist again, just as I insist on the mantra:  “Integration without assimilation, union without loss of self, difference without dominance.”

Words matter.  Words have meaning & life & influence. 

So we should all choose them very, very carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment