Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Playing for the Ashes

Today,  I read a post from Emily Jackson, my friend Elizabeth Jackson’s alpha & omega daughter.

Emily, who is attending boarding school in Great Britain wrote:  “ Oh deary me.”

Dyslexic that I am, I read it as :  “ Oh dreary me.”

I asked her about snow & snow melting & how ugly it is and she replied.

“Jaki- no snow! Nothing but rain and wind at the moment! But still hoping (:

I wrote back that at least Great Britain had won the ashes.

Great Britain, indeed, won the ashes.

As I told Emily, I only know what winning or losing the ashes means from a novel:  from Elizabeth George’s Tommy Lynley series -  Playing for the Ashes.

And thought, as I wrote that to Emily, how much I know & understand & want to know & want to understand from novels, from literature, from text.

I think of all the things I have learned or wanted to learn from all the texts I have read.
Or need to read.  Or will read.

And I know, I will be forever playing for the ashes.

Thank you, Emily.

No comments:

Post a Comment