Pages

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Girl Scout Cookies

One day last week, my supervisor’s youngest daughter, Cate (aged 4.5), came up to me & said:

            Jaki, would you like to buy some of my Girl Scout cookies?

I said yes, indeed, I would and Cate said, pointing to a picture of the Thin Mints:

            If you put these in the freezer, they are really good.

So, because Cate calls me Jaki & her sister calls me Miss Jaki, I bought nine (9) boxes of Girl Scout cookies, including Thin Mints which taste really good when they are in the freezer.

Now Jean & Jason & Sam & Eli & I do not need nine boxes of cookies, even two of Thin Mints which taste really good when they are in the freezer.

But Cate reminded of another little girl, whose mother was my coworker, who asked me to buy Girl Scout cookies & always wrote a thank you note when the cookies were delivered.

A little girl who became a young woman & died too early & is buried near my father, Jack

So when I go to the cemetery to replace Jack’s flowers ( a ritual I hate but feel obligated to do ), I visit Sarah.   She loved horses & everything Disney & collected American Girl dolls & had a beautiful soul & spirit.  

This year, when go to replace Daddy’s flowers, I think I will leave a cookie on Sarah’s grave.

A Girl Scout Cookie in her honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment