Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

(Christ)mas

So, over the Christmas & New Year’s, a knock came at the door.   I looked through the peep hole, between our Christmas wreath, & saw a very lovely African American woman & a very beautiful young female child.
I knew, I knew in my heart that this woman is a Jehovah’s Witness.  

Ordinarily, I would ignore the knock, as did my brother Jason.

But it was the holidays & I like the two Jehovah’s Witnesses I know at work.  Beautiful, kind. loving souls.

So I open the door & I smile & I listen as someone asks me “I see by your wreath that you celebrate Christmas.”

I smile & this woman introduces herself & her very beautiful daughter & gives me a copy of “Awake!  December 2010 The Truth About Christmas.”

She asks me to read it, always using my name, which I have given her, & says she will return to see if I have any questions.

So I close the door & in mind, I paraphrase my friend Rod, I think, “Really ?  Fucking Really?”

But because it was the holidays, I read the “Awake!  December 2010 The Truth About Christmas.
And I think:  Really?  Really?

The people who came to my door to save my soul knew nothing about me. 

They did not know that I grew up in a fierce church, that I have absorbed a belief system after years of research & study.  

I understand the difference between a cultural celebration & what happened when the veil was torn between the Holy of Holies & the congregation in the Temple.

More than that, I understand why whatever church was in charge, they competed with embedded pagan customs.

Who was this woman who did not know me to come & to teach me about the true meaning of Christmas?

How dare she assume because of the wreath on my front door that I was one of the clueless?

Perhaps, the greater question is:  “Jaki Jean, why does this piss you off?”

Because, I always hate to be underestimated.


No comments:

Post a Comment